Saturday, July 23, 2022

The Real World: A Mindful Perspective

I remember growing up as a child my parents, teachers, and other adult authority figures telling us how easy we have and to 'just wait until you get into the real world'. At my age I've been in the 'real world' for quite some time and have seen and experienced a lot. 

Mother, Child, Parents

After graduating high school, enlisting in the Marines, married, children, university, career...well several careers at this point, only to arrive at where I am at this moment. And after all I've seen, done, gained, lost, laughed, cried, loved, disagreed with, learned, forgotten, and relearned, I came to realization that the 'real' world is entirely perspective. 

As I look back with mindful reflection I've realized that each moment of my life, from birth to this present moment has been the real world. 

Each perceived moment of my real world was been based on my experiences and then perceiving those experiences based on how I thought they should be, not how they were. My perceptions were biased with cravings and desires. So in essence each moment of my childhood was my real world. Each moment of my adolescence was my real world. Each moment of my adult life was my real world.

At each stage of my life I was living my real world. Not my teachers, not my parents, not my friends, nor your real world. This realization was not truly unveiled to me until I had been a mindfulness practitioner for at least several months.

So how does the 'real' world affect our decisions and actions.

Consider this - rain.

Rain is simply rain. It is soothing, nurturing, and certainly essential for life. 

Wet Grass

Not too far from where are meditation center is located in the south, they are experiencing a moderate drought. Not too alarming at this time but still something to be mindful of.

So when any rain does occur, farmers are joyful that their crops, for which they depend on to live, are receiving this nurturing event. 

But now consider a happy couple who have planned for months of a spectacular outdoor wedding and reception. If by chance you've ever planned a wedding some may be very extravagant but all are prepared with care and love.

When this very same rain event occurs those involved with the planning, especially the bride and groom on their special day, are saddened. They feel all of this planning has now been washed away with the rain.

Outdoor Wedding
So what was the difference between the two parties? Perspective resulting form cravings and desires. One is a joyful and welcome event while the other was 'disastrous'. Regardless of perspective we can mindfully look at this, the rain is out of our control. 

Our perspective shaped our real world. And very often without sincere reflection of events people tend to shape their real world negatively. Now, this bride and groom may never plan an outdoor event due to even the possibility of rain. And this negative view point can be carried on to many people they encounter. Their experience shaped their 'real' world.

So at this time I warmly invite you to offer some other examples in the comments below where experiences shape some ones 'real' world perception.


And with that my friends I wish you all peace and ease,


Vladimir


You are warmly invited to follow on us on Facebook and Instagram @bluelotuscenter for more way to improve your mindfulness practice and wellbeing.

Blue Lotus Meditation and Mindfulness Center is a registered 501(c)(3) religious organization.

Website and monthly newsletter: www.bluelotusmeditation.us

For guided meditations and Dharma talks, please visit and subscribe to our YouTube channel.

Facebook

Instagram 

AmazonSmile

No comments:

Post a Comment

Exploring Mindfulness For Teens

Being a teen in this day and age is much different than when your parents were your age. I'm sure you've heard this before. This sam...