Monday, March 1, 2021

Mindfulness and Your Mantra

Mantras To Help Guide You Along Your Path

Your mantra.

Do you have one?

Mantra
Do you need one?

Can you have more than one?

Originally the word mantra comes from Hinduism or Buddhism as a word or sound to aid in concentration during meditation. However in more recent times the term is used to describe a personal saying or slogan such as 'where there is a will, there is a way'. Mantras are designed to be positive, reassuring, guiding, and purposeful in their recitation.

For our purposes either definition is useful since we will use our saying or slogan during our meditations.

In Buddhism there are 108 mantras or prayers and if you count any Buddhist prayer beads, called malas or japa, around the neck you will get 108 beads. Wrist malas typically have some factor of 108.

You may be familiar with the 'om' mantra that is usually depicted in Hinduism and is considered the greatest mantra of all. However, many religions have mantras too, for example, the Hail Mary in Catholicism and the morning prayer of salat al-faj in Islam, both of
 which are used in much the same way.

When I do my morning meditations I recite 4 or 5 different ones. Each one is a statement on positivity and how I would like to develop myself spiritually and I am more than happy to share three of them with you.

One mantra I recite daily is "Love" and it goes like this: I am love. All of my actions are based on love. Not anger, jealousy, greed, or hatred, but on love. This mantra allows me to be sure that all of my actions are for the benefit of all living beings so that they may have ease of suffering.

Another is, 'Balance': May I maintain my equanimity and that my emotions do not swing too far or too long from center. This mantra recognizes and allows me to have and experience emotions but to not let them stay too long. When emotions stay too long they begin to take you away from the totality of the passing moments.

Finally, 'Speech': When I speak to living beings my words are positive, uplifting, constructive, and truthful. This mantra ensures that I speak purposefully and with positive intent to all living beings. many times in our society people are subjected to a barrage of negativity and it is my intent to counteract this as best I may.

I have been saying these mantras for about a year at the time of this post and it has taken some time for them to take hold into my being and to really became a part of me.

Now I find that in certain situations where I would previously make a hasty or rash decision, this mantra, or one of my others, comes to the forefront of my mind and helps me make a decision based on loving kindness.

Once you decide on a mantra or mantras, yes, you can have more than one, make sure they reflect who you want to be in the future. By reciting your mantra daily you begin to develop the positive, life-changing mindset you seek.

It will not happen overnight or in a week but perhaps in a months time or so you will begin to notice this little voice in your head that sounds like your mantra. Listen to it, it is you starting to reap the change you seek.

Let me know what you think in the comments below.

Wishing you peace and ease,

Vladimir

Blue Lotus Meditation And Mindfulness Center is a registered 501(c)(3) religious organization.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Exploring Mindfulness For Teens

Being a teen in this day and age is much different than when your parents were your age. I'm sure you've heard this before. This sam...